|My Grandmother, Inez Dorsey Frank|
- Both Josiah and Nathaniel are biblical names.
- Both were born into slavery and prophesied by elders to be great leaders among their people when they were children. This prophesy was true in both cases.
- Both learned scripture as children.
- Both of their fathers, at three or four years old, were separated from their family after assaulting a white man.
- Both were raised by their mothers.
- Both became Reverends in their late teens.
- Both were given permission to travel to various plantations to preach.
- Both were married in their early twenties.
- Both organized black militias to fight against oppression.
Because The Birth of a Nation is still very new I encourage you to see and judge it for yourselves. Regardless if you choose to see it or not, I also encourage you to do further research on slave revolts in North America. One of the best resource books I've read on the subject is Black Rebellion: Eyewitness Accounts of Major Slave Revolts by author Dr. Sujan Dass.